Tweetsie Railroad provides a fun family experience that kids will remember always. Tweetsie Railroad provided a pair of tickets in exchange for a travel review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I have fond memories of Tweetsie Railroad during my childhood years. With a charming past and rich history, Tweetsie Railroad has been a part of multiple generations of memorable day trips. When my daughter requested to visit Tweetsie Railroad for her birthday, I may have been more excited than she was to head up the mountain.
My husband and I decided that she could bring along a friend, which quickly morphed into her bringing two other friends. Our birthday excursion included two adults, one teenage helper, and seven kids. Yep, we’re crazy like that.
Tweetsie Railroad is located in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Depending on how far away this is for you, it may be a good day trip or an overnight trip. As a mom, one of my favorite things about Tweetsie is that the park has enough to do that no one gets bored yet the park is not so large that it is overwhelming for little kids. We stayed from about 10:30 am to 5:00 pm, and during the last hour we let everyone re-ride their favorite rides that they wanted to try just one more time.
When traveling with a large group of kids, preparation is key. Here are a few tips for visiting Tweetsie with kids, including a few money saving tips:
- Head to the park during a weekday, if possible. The park has varying operating hours and days during the off-season, but if you plan to go during the summer, a weekday is an awesome time to go. The park is less crowded during weekdays. During our most current trip, we went on a Monday. The kids had almost no waiting in line time at all for any rides or attractions.
- $$ Pack a lunch. The park does allow coolers inside the gates, but they also will allow guests to head out to lunch and return. Just make sure to get your hand stamped before exiting the park. We packed two coolers full of food, and then tailgated in the parking lot. I purchased chips and snack food the weeks prior while they were on sale. We ate lunch for around $25!
- $$ Bring your own candy and novelties. My kids always want candy or to buy a little trinket when we are on day trips. This can get enormously pricey when traveling with 7 kids! I purchased a few bags of ring pops and glow sticks from the dollar store and packed them in my bag.
- Tweetsie Railroad has a wild west theme, and kids love it! I saw many kids dressed up as they were arriving at the park. Let the kiddos dress up for their day at the park, but try to use items that can be layered or removed. There is a small playground at the park, as well as all the rides, and kids wind up shedding their costume accessories part of the way through.
- One of my personal favorite parts of Tweetsie Railroad is the mountain chair lift. The lift takes guests up the mountain from the lower part of the park up to Miner’s Mountain. However, if you are traveling with someone who experiences severe anxiety over heights (or you feel that your kiddos are too small to ride), there is a bus that will take guests up and down the mountain without riding the lift.
The Tweetsie train ride, complete with a Wild West show, is a cornerstone of the Tweetsie experience. Hop on it first thing, and then ride it again half way through the day for a relaxing break.
Who knew gem mining would be such a hit? Maybe it was the chance to splash in the water, or maybe it was the anticipation of finding “gold,” but we spent forty five minutes having fun at the gem mining attraction.
Experience the county fair without waiting until fall with these fun rides. Tweetsie Railroad boasts the fastest ferris wheel on the East Coast. From experience, I can say that this is thrillingly true!
The petting zoo is fun for everyone. Baby goats roam inside the gates, and kids enjoy petting their soft fur. Food can be purchased at the counter at the beginning of the petting zoo.
Our day at Tweetsie was great, and it was a birthday to remember for all the kids– and adults!
If you are in the Blowing Rock area looking for things to do after your day at Tweetsie, I recommend stopping for pizza at the Blowing Rock Mellow Mushroom and playing at the Blowing Rock town park!