Welcome to my first Bible Journaling endeavor! A special thanks to Family Christian Stores for sponsoring today’s post and Journaling Bible giveaway!
Confession: I cannot freehand draw or paint. Seriously. I didn’t get that gene. And there is a gene for that. I know that for a fact. My sister has it. I can sew, cook, and craft like crazy, but ask me to draw a dog and I freeze. Or I grab my die cutting machine to just cut it for me. For this reason, I’ve been intimidated to get into Bible Journaling. I am intrigued by the lovely journaling pages that I see. I can’t believe how creative and artistic so many of these pages are. I definitely do not feel up to their skill level. But I just finished reading Crash the Chatterbox, which is an excellent book that discusses the lies that we tell ourselves and how to overcome them, and I decided that even though my Bible Journaling pages will never win any awards, if I am doing it to worship and focus upon the Creator, then why shouldn’t I Bible Journal? Can I get an Amen?
If you are intimidated my Bible Journaling but would love to jump in, I hope I can encourage you today to grab a box of pencils and go to it. For beginners (like myself!), here are my recommendations:
- Do not invest a ton of money in the beginning on supplies. Use the basic crafting and drawing supplies that you have around the house on your first few entries until you get the hang of it and discover what you want to purchase. For example, today I am using stamps and colored pencils.
- Purchase a Bible with lined columns on the sides. The lines helped me in a few ways. Since I’m not the best freehand drawer around, the lines assisted me in keeping my shapes aligned. If you decide that you want to use the Bible for more note taking than drawing, the lines are perfect for taking notes. The Chestnut LeatherSoft ESV Single Column Journaling Bible is a lovely choice. I like the 2 inch columns on the sides, the pages are good quality, and the leather cover is embossed.
- Start with simple shapes. Have you been following along with my Craft Through the Bible Series? My daughter and I focused on the Creation during her summer break, and we created simple paper plate projects for each day of creation. Each day consisted of simple lines, shapes, and colors. When I started thinking about what I wanted to begin with Bible journaling, my mind immediately thought of our creation projects. I used these as inspiration to journal each day of creation in my Journaling Bible.
- Even when using colored pencils and stamps, place a piece of card stock underneath/behind the pages that you are working on to prevent bleeding to other pages.
- Remember that you do not have to be a professional artist. Your Bible Journaling is a reflection of you, your relationship with Christ, and the words that He has spoken to you during your personal time with Him. Your pages do not have to be a copy of anyone else’s!
Want to see my first pages? They are literally the first two pages of Scripture– the Days of Creation, as inspired by our Paper Plate the Days of Creation Series.
I’m using one of my PSA Essentials Stamps for the dotted outer edge of each circle. PSA Essentials creates and sells stamp bodies, inks, and stamps that are Peel & Stick and interchangeable. Check them out if you are looking for a stamping set.
Are you ready to try Bible Journaling for yourself? I have an AH-MAZING opportunity today. Family Christian Stores is giving away one Chestnut LeatherSoft ESV Single Column Journaling Bible to one of my readers! Eek!!
Use the below Rafflecopter form to enter to win! Good luck!
Details: Giveaway ends August 28, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST. Open to Residents of the US only who are 18 years and older. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. One Chestnut LeatherSoft ESV Single Column Journaling Bible will be delivered to one winner via mail from Family Christian Stores. One winner will be selected randomly and be notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected. This giveaway is sponsored by Family Christian Stores. My opinions are my own and were not influenced by any form of compensation. Pinterest and Twitter are in no way associated with this giveaway. By providing your information in this form, you are providing your information to me and me alone. I do not share or sell information and will use any information only for the purpose of contacting the winner. Winner’s name and mailing address will be shared with Family Christian Stores in order for prize to be fulfilled.
Interested in Bible themed kids’ crafts? Visit my Craft Through the Bible page of crafts!