This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ProjectAmazing #CollectiveBias
Looking for a fun summer craft? These Quick and Easy Beaded Flip Flops are inexpensive enough for a kid or tween group craft, and advanced crafting skills are NOT required. I made a few pair of these, and I’m sharing the full tutorial today, as well as a few DOs and DON’Ts that I learned along the way. Be sure to read those to get the most out of your craft!
- Cheap flip flops
- Flat beads
- Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape or Scotch® Permanent Mounting Squares
- Scotch® Titanium Utility Knife or scissors
This craft is pretty much as cut and dry as it gets! To begin, cut two pieces of Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape per flip flop. Attach the sticky side to the top of the flip flop. Press the Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape to the flip flop straps tightly, straightening out any bumps in the tape.
Pull the green backing off of the adhesive strips. Stick the flat beads to the Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape in your desired pattern. Press them firmly on the tape.
Yep. It’s as simple as that. Of course, as with any project, I learned a few things along the way. Here are a few DOs and DON’Ts:
- DO use flat beads. In the brief instructional video at the bottom of this post, I am using beads that are round. I used these at my daughter’s request. She picked them out at Walmart just for this project. The round beads will stick but they do not have the same sticking power as flat beads. After a week of wearing the flip flops, all of my beads remained on the flip flops, but a few of my daughter’s had fallen off.
- DO cut off any excess Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape.
- DON’T feel like you have to bead the entire strap. A few beads across the top will look stylish, too!
- DO use Scotch® Permanent Mounting Squares if that works better for you project. The Scotch® Permanent Mounting Squares can be cut into small pieces that you can customize to your specific project.
- DO remember that this is a fun, cheap project. Since this is a wearable project, the flip flops are subject to every day wear and tear. The beads (just like the inexpensive flip flops) won’t last forever. I like having my pair of Beaded Flip Flops simply to wear around the house!
Here is a photo of the flip flops that I made for my daughter. They are definitely pretty, but the round beads didn’t hold up as well as flat! The round beads were also smaller, leaving more of the mounting tape exposed. I’m sharing this photo as an example of how it is important to chose the correct type of bead for this craft!
Check out this quick Instagram video where I demonstrate how easy this craft is.
Scotch® Permanent Mounting Tape and Scotch® Permanent Mounting Squares can be found in the crafting section your local Walmart store. I’ve used Scotch® Brand products for years for everything from gift wrapping to spray adhesives. As pictured below, Command™ products are located in this section now, as well! Command™ Brand products are a neat option for a variety of crafts. Pick up a few packages for your summer crafting adventures! See more fun summer craft ideas at the #ProjectAmazing Social Hub.