Do you ever get so caught up in making handmade gifts that you forget about the basic, good ‘ole gift basket? I know I do! I try to make an impressive handmade gift, but I often forget about how nice a full gift basket can be. Want to make an easy gift basket for a neighbor or friend? Here’s a few tips:
- Have coordinating, ready to assemble items on hand. I try to buy the little bread boxes and friendship boxes the day after Christmas when they are 50% off (or more!). The Martha Stewart ones are nice. I’ve also gotten a brand new set one time from a yard sale for $1!
- Keep baskets when they are given to you. A crafter can never have too many baskets. Seriously! Find a nice place to store them and fill them up for gifts for the holidays
- When baking, always bake a little extra to add in the baskets.
- Add other personalized items. Is your recipient a cocoa drinker? Add a few packets of cocoa and a cute mug or maybe a towel.
- Keep the basket simple, but make it full. Use tissue as a stuffer if needed. Nothing is worse than a basket with the items falling all over the place because the basket isn’t full enough.
I made a gift basket this week. Here’s a look at my items that I had: a basket, a bread box, and two friendship boxes. One friendship box had fudge and the other had peanut chewies. I included a candy bar and a few packs of gum for the kids in the family, and then I added cocoa and cider packets for the adults.
Play around with the placement of the items until they look good. There is no right or wrong way to package the items. I added tissue at the bottom of the items to build up the friendship boxes and the candy.
So need a last minute holiday gift? How about a gift basket??
I may link to these parties.
jessica barnett says
THIS IS ACTUALLY A GREAT IDEA. YOU CAN PERSONALIZE IT TO THE PERSON! GREAT IDEA. I HAVE A COUPLE LEFT TO BUY FOR AND THIS JUST MIGHT BE THE THING TO DO!!!
This is great! I love getting baskets full of stuff. I never think of doing it myself…
Kelly R says
That is a wonderful idea. I love the basket of goodies..
I’ve not assembled a gift basket that I can recall, other than for some giveaways. I’ve always wanted to do the ones that look so pretty with the cellophane and shrink wrap though. I’ll have to remember to set aside baskets now!
Love making my own gift baskets! Always so personable and fun!
I love making gift baskets for people. Actually last year mines were huge gift boxes of goodies and everyone loved them
Serena @ Thrift Diving says
Hello from the FB group! Leaving you a comment! You know, funny you should post this, because I just did a gift basket for a friend of mine who turned 40. I used an old thrift store bucket and painted it, along with “Creativity” quotes, and stuffed it full of my favorite DIY tools and supplies! She loved it 🙂 Here’s a link to my gift basket if you’d like to take a peak! 🙂
That’s so cute. A perfect gift to give when I’m on a spending limit.
Rachel Joyce says
Hi! I found you through your guest post at Ginger Snap Crafts (I’ll be doing one on 12/31). I am definitely subscribing to your blog. I can tell from your “local love” category that you’re pretty local to me…I live in the CLT area! I’m amazed that you do DIY while being a pastor’s wife, too–that’s a real time commitment and ministry. God bless and having a merry Christmas!
Melanie @ bear rabbit bear says
Hi- glad to have you here! I’m guessing CLT is Charlotte?? 🙂 I’m too far north to know the lingo. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!!
Kara @ Petals to Picots says
Very nice … and yummy … idea!
this is a wonderful idea i need to do this