Is the Cricut Trade-Up Program a good deal? Let’s break it down today! This post contains affiliate links.
First, I should admit that I am a sucker for trade-up programs. I encountered my first one when my kids were small. A popular baby item store offered a trade-up program for baby gear. I had an old model baby bouncer, and I dropped it off by the store in exchange for a percentage coupon off of a new baby gear item. I was able to get rid of something that wouldn’t work for the triplets and get a new item that that we could utilize at a discount. Ever since then, I have always liked trade-up programs. When I received a recent email from Cricut announcing a Trade-Up program, my curiosity immediately piqued. How would one trade in a Cricut? How much would the discount be? Would the Cricut Trade-Up Program be a good deal?
How does the program work?
Customers wanting to upgrade take two photos of their machine: one of the machine itself and one of the serial number. Email those photos (along with other pertinent information) to Cricut. Within 2 business days, Cricut will send the customer a $50 off discount code for a Cricut Explore Air Mint Everything Bundle. For more information on what to email and the email address, see this page.
What machines are eligible for the program?
Initially, I thought that the program would only be for Cricut machines. But it’s not! Customers can trade-up a large variety of Cricut machines, Silhouette machines, and other cutting machine brands like Sizzix. See this post for a complete list.
What is included in the Cricut Explore Air Mint Everything Bundle?
The bundle is awesome! It literally includes everything that a Cricut user would want for crafting!
• Cricut Vinyl Transfer Tape 12×48
• Cricut Replacement Blade x2
• Cricut Basic Trimmer
• Cricut Vellum Metallic Sampler 12×12
• Cricut Printable Iron On Light, 4 sheets
• Cricut Window Cling 12×48 Black
• Cricut Printable Iron On Dark, 4 sheets
• Cricut Printable Sticker Paper, 8.5×12
• Cricut Faux Leather, Wood Grain Sampler 12×12
• Cricut Poster Board Metallic, 6 sheets
• Cricut Premium Outdoor Vinyl, Light Blue 12×48
• Cricut Dry Erase Vinyl 12×48
• Cricut Window Cling, White 12×48
• Cricut Vinyl, Home Sampler 12×12
• Cricut Tools Basic Set
• Cricut Metallic Pen Set
• Cricut Multi Pen Set, Gold
• Cricut Scoring Stylus Tool
• Cricut Deep Cut Blade With Housing
• Cricut Cutting Mat, Variety 3-pack 12×12
If purchased separately, the items are $595.77. But together in the bundle, the price is $329.99. Subtract the $50 from the Cricut Trade-Up program, and the price is $279.99.
Is this a good deal?
With the discount from the Trade-Up program, the short answer is DEFINITELY YES! A Cricut Explore Air 2 by itself is $249.99 on Cricut.com. The Cricut Explore Air 2 + Ultimate Machine Set and the Cricut Explore Air 2 + Deluxe Starter Kit are $299.99 and $289.99 respectively, and these sets do not have nearly as many accessories and cutting materials included. The good deal is also true when compared to Amazon kit prices.
But is it a good deal for me?
This is definitely dependent per person. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Am I in the market for a new machine?
- Can I afford the price?
- Do I plan on purchasing a large variety of cutting materials to use and to experiment with?
- Do I own an original Cricut, a Cricut Expression, or a Cricut Explore?
- Am I a Silhouette owner (or other cutting machine) who wants to switch to team Cricut?
If you answered “Yes” to the above questions, then now is definitely the time to make the purchase. I’ve been a Cricut crafter for a long time, and this is truly a good deal when taking in consideration all of the cutting materials that are included.
For those who already own a Cricut Explore Air, upgrading may not be the best value for you. The Cricut Explore Air 2 primarily cuts faster for some materials and has new dial options, but both of these are not necessarily enough reasons to upgrade unless you just want to have the newer model.