I shared earlier this week how we are making diet changes at our home. One of my favorite quick meals to make are quesadillas. I can make plain cheese ones for the boys, ones with chicken bits for my daughter, and veggie ones for me! The key to a heart healthy quesadilla is to go light on the cheese. Add flavors with veggies, but use just enough cheese to hold it all together.
- Whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheese
- Pour a tad bit of olive oil in a hot skillet. Saute 1 cup spinach, 1 small diced onion, 1 clove of garlic diced, and 1 diced yellow pepper until vegetables are soft.
- Pour a tad bit of olive oil in a hot skillet. Do not pour too much oil or the quesadillas will be soft. Once the oil is hot, place a tortilla in the skillet. Top it with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Add the desired portion of cooked vegetables and fold the tortilla in half.
- Press the tortilla with spatula and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is a nice golden brown.
I hope you’ll follow along with me as I share my adventures this year with the Go Red for Women and the American Heart Association! Look forward to more healthy recipes to come!