This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CleanRippleStyle #CollectiveBias
With my first pregnancy, I only spent three days in the hospital. We were there the day that we gave birth, followed by another day and then released on the third day. When I had the triplets, I was hospitalized a week before giving birth to them and then three days after, so I spent ten days in the hospital. During both of these pregnancy related hospital stays, I was fortunate enough to receive many visitors. Some brought food, flowers, or baby gifts. Some brought cards. Some kept me company while my husband had to run an errand or (in our second pregnancy) check on our oldest daughter. But each hospital stay, there were a few things that I always needed, ran out of, or wished that I had. Things that I would have to call someone and say “Will you please bring me this?” These items are now the things that I take to new moms when visiting the hospital. Because, chances are, if I needed them or thought they were awesome to have, she would, too! Today I’m sharing a few of these things with you. If you’re an expectant mom, you might want to throw a few of these things in your hospital bag. If you found this post because you’re taking a new mom a gift soon, here are a few items that you may not have thought of to take to your gift recipient.
- Skip the regular gift bag. A plain canvas bag isn’t too much more expensive, and moms can use it to carry lots of personal items or baby items for weeks after the baby is born. They are also handy for transporting home those extra items and paperwork stuff that leaves with every mom from the hospital.
- Add a nice lotion and body cream. Mom can keep the hand cream in her handbag or the diaper bag. The body creme is awesome for use in the hospital but will also be appreciated once returning home, too.
- You may feel awkward giving personal care items, but they will be more than appreciated! Take it from a mom who knows- hospital toilet paper and cleansing items that they give new moms are horrible! I would have hugged anyone who had bought me soft toilet paper and Cottonelle® Fresh Care* Flushable Cleansing Cloths. It was actually after the birth of the triplets that we started using the Cottonelle® Fresh Care* Flushable Cleansing Cloths. They are alcohol-free, versatile, flushable, break up after flushing, and are sewer and septic safe. And don’t forget tissues! I take tissues to anyone in the hospital for any reason. Hospital tissues are not nose friendly!
- Grab a pack of hair ties. I always packed a few hair ties, and they always disappeared!
- Healthy snacks are a great added item for a new mom. Stay away from chocolate or caffeine and keep the snacks healthy. Some moms who are breastfeeding avoid certain foods, and so healthy is always a safe way to go.
- Optionally, include something small for baby. If you want to keep the gift bag completely for mom, that’s perfectly ok, too. Some moms love receiving baby items, so if that description fits the mom you know, you can add a little outfit or something for baby.
Add all the items to the canvas gift bag and that’s it!
Of course, if you want to include a personal, homemade touch to your gift, a Flower Gift Tag makes a nice touch!
- Blank gift tag
- Green washi tape
- Pink washi tape
- Yellow Button
- Small piece of mounting tape
Cut a small piece of green washi tape and place it near the bottom of the gift tag. This is the stem of the flower.
Cut small pieces of pink washi tape and fold them in half, leaving a small sticky portion exposed on the end. Use this sticky portion to apply the tape to the gift tag. Continue this around to make a flower shape.
Cut a piece of mounting tape that is a bit smaller than the yellow button. Adhere it to the back of the yellow button, then place it in the center of the flower.
Use a marker or pen to write “Congratulations!” and cut twine to use as a hanger for the tag. Tie to your canvas bag.
Where do we buy our items for gift bags and such? At Sam’s Club, of course!
We are there multiple times a week. Sam’s Club carries the Cottonelle® Fresh Care* Flushable Cleansing Cloths in member-voted designs. Check out other uses of the product on the product page. We are a Sam’s Club plus member, and we have started taking advantage of many of the Sam’s Club services, such as the Pick-Up Service and the Subscription Service.
Can you remember back to your time in the hospital with your new baby? What items would you have liked to received in a gift bag?