With a few supplies, anyone can make this DIY Initial Clay Necklace. This is a fun idea for a tween girls’ crafting night. This post contains affiliate links which, when purchased through, add no cost to the consumer but help support this site to bring more fun crafty tutorials.
When I think of tween craft ideas for my daughter, this one definitely comes to mind. It is great for those who are beginners to working with clay, too. It only takes a few supplies, and the rubber stamps are reusable, making them an investment that can be used for many projects.
If you are new to working with oven bake clay, be sure to read my Tips and Tricks for Working with Oven-Bake Clay before beginning.
Supplies for this DIY Initial Clay Necklace:
- Sculpey Souffle Oven Bake Clay
- Work ‘n bake clay mat – This mat is wonderful! I can use it to first roll and cut my shapes, and then I can bake them directly on the mat. This decreases the chances that I will misshapen my design when transferring it to another baking mat.
- Clay roller
- Rectangle shape from the Premo Mini Metal Cutters
- Tool with needle end and ball end, like the one in this clay tool starter kit
- 1 jump ring – I purchased a variety box like this one and use the size that I think works best for each jewelry making project.
- Jewelry pliers
- Necklace chain
- Rubber letter stamps
Choose the color for the initial pendant.
Use the rectangle mini cutter to cut 1 shape from the clay. Remove the excess clay.
Use the initial stamp to lightly place the letter on the clay pendant portion.
Use the needle point tip to create a hole in the top of the rectangle. Remove any excess clay.
Place the work n’ bake mat on a baking sheet. Follow the instructions from Sculpey on baking.
Per the Sculpey Souffle Website: Bake at 275 °F (130 °C) for 30 minutes per 1/4 in (6 mm) thickness. DO NOT MICROWAVE. Baking should be completed by an adult. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME.
Since we are baking a shape half the size of 1/4,” the rectangle should only need approximately 15 minutes. Check it and do not over bake.
Remove the rectangle from the oven. Allow to cool completely.
Use the jewelry pliers to attach a jump ring into the hole of the rectangle.
Continue with the pliers to attach the jump ring (with the rectangle attached) to the necklace chain. Close the jump ring securely with the pliers.
Here are more clay crafts to check out:
It Happens in a Blink, LLC, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.