This makes a cute craft for the kids for Christmas. Using a few materials (that you may already have around the house), this Craft Stick Angel Ornament is easy to make.
I’ve been reading the devotional Hosanna in Excelsis for an Advent devotional, and it has been one of my favorite Christmas season devotionals that I have ever read. As I’ve combed the pages, I had a thought- why not pair an easy craft for kids with popular Christmas carols? This Craft Stick Angel Ornament coordinates well the holiday season.
Popular Christmas Carols about Angels
Need Christmas carol inspiration? Here are a few Christmas carols that include angels:
- Hark, the Herald Angels Sing
- Angels from the Realms of Glory
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- O Little Town of Bethlehem (includes a portion about angels)
This Craft Stick Angel Ornament is Great for:
- Children’s Church
- Sunday School
- Children’s Christmas parties (this is what I’m using the craft for this year)
- A home craft
- A craft to pair with a music class
It only takes a few supplies to get started. All of these are items that I had in my craft stash. Note that the supply list is for one Craft Stick Angel Ornament. If you are using these in a group setting, you’ll need to multiply the supplies for one by the amount of kids that will be attending the event.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links which, when purchased through, add a commission to this site at no cost to the consumer.
- 3 craft sticks (small length)
- 1 triangle card stock piece
- Permanent marker
- Card stock circle
- 4″ pipe cleaner in gold or silver
- 5″ length of baker’s twine or ribbon
- (1) small (mini) paper cupcake liner, cut in half
*I supply glue sticks or liquid glue to kids when creating this project. However, I do check their projects after they have completed them. If a piece is falling off the project due to a lack of glue or the piece is just not holding, I will secure it myself with hot glue. A child should never use hot glue.
How to Make:
Glue the craft sticks together to make a triangle.
Adhere the card stock triangle to the back of the craft sticks with glue.
Take the mini cupcake liner. It should be cut in half. Glue one half to one side of the triangle and the other half of the liner to the other side of the triangle. These are the angel’s wings.
Draw a face on the circle of card stock.
Glue the face to the top of the triangle. Create a halo with the pipe cleaner piece, leaving a small straight piece that will attach to the back of the triangle. With the baker’s twine, make a loop that will serve as the ornament hanger. Glue the halo and the baker’s twine to the back of the angel at the top.
Hang on the tree and enjoy!
Ways to Customize the Craft Stick Angel Ornament:
- Provide a variety of colors of card stock for the triangle that goes in the center of the angel.
- Provide a variety of skin tones for the angel’s face.
- Give kids the option of either silver or gold halo.
- Add feet or arms with card stock or craft stick pieces.