Put a fun spin on a traditional Easter egg hunt with an at-home glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunt. Kids have fun running around at night, searching for the glowing eggs. Thank you to Oriental Trading for providing the glow-in-the-dark egg shells for this post.
There’s a very good chance that we may all be celebrating Easter at home this year. Group Easter egg hunts are always a lot of fun. We typically have one at church and then another with cousins. But it doesn’t look like we will be joining any of our friends or family this year.
If your kids are bummed out (like mine!), then an at-home Easter egg hunt will be the way to go. Make it even more fun with glow-in-the-dark eggs!
I noticed the popularity of glow-in-the-dark eggs a few years ago. I’ve been skeptical of planning a large group egg hunt with them because we never know what type of weather we will have at Easter. Most Easter holidays here are too cold or rainy. But with an at-home Easter egg hunt, we can spontaneously plan around the weather, making a night time glow-in-the-dark egg hunt possible.
At-Home Glow-in-the-Dark Easter Egg Hunt Supply List:
The supply list for doing this at home is fairly small. If I were hosting a glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunt for a large group or a community group, the list would be larger. But when having it for your own kids at home, not as many items are needed.
- Glow-in-the-dark egg shells (at least 10-20 per child)
- Glow-in-the-dark necklaces (at least 1 per child)
- Items to stuff the eggs – some items may be glow-in-the-dark, and others do not necessarily have to be. Any items that are not glow-in-the-dark that are inside of the eggs may make it more difficult to see the glowing egg.
- Glow-in-the-dark chalk or paint or some way to light the egg hunt area – This may be solar lights or using glow-in-the-dark paint to mark the path so that children do not wander off beyond the egg hunt area in the dark.
- Basket or bag for collecting the eggs.
We ordered our glow-in-the-dark sign and egg shells from Oriental Trading. They have lots of glow-in-the-dark party options!