Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post. Don’t let the beep steal your sleep.
My triplets share a bedroom. Prior to giving birth to them, their room fulfilled several purposes. First it was a guest room. Next it was a storage room. After that it could only be described as a junk room. Then we remodeled it for multiple babies! Earlier this year, we finally transformed their room from a toddler-focused room to a big boy room with big boy beds.
This remodel was more than simply switching out beds. We pulled every item out of their room and completely reconfigured the room. I was consumed with the aesthetic part. What cute items could I add to the room to make it their own? But a “beep” in the middle of one night reminded me that I needed to consider more than just decorative elements during their room remodel.
As luck would have it, my husband was out of town when the battery on the smoke alarm went out in their room in the middle of the night. Trudging up to their room with a mini-ladder to soothe three scared boys while changing the battery in the smoke alarm at midnight sounds like what every mom wants to do, right? Totally wrong! So during their room remodel, we made a list of safety elements that we wanted to address while working in their room to keep night time interruptions away and keep their room safe in general.
1– Add outlet plug covers to any unused outlets.
2– Check for any loose electrical cords. Secure these with cord covers or shorteners.
3– Secure dresser to the wall with tip resistant hardware.
4– Replace ceiling fan to one with lights completely covered. Believe it or not, our boys had previously thrown a stuffed animal into the lights in the ceiling fan and almost started a fire. We replaced the fan with one that had the light bulbs completely enclosed.
5– Install a new First Alert Combination Photoelectric Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Our previous smoke alarm had a few issues. For one, we could not remember when it had been installed. Our best guess was when we purchased the house over a decade ago. Secondly, the boys’ room did not have a carbon monoxide alarm at all. There was one in an adjacent hallway, but not one in their room itself. The First Alert Combination Photoelectric Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm is perfect for a child’s bedroom because it has a 10-Year Battery and includes a voice to alert of the location.
What is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless and deadly gas that can be produced by any fuel-burning device. CO alarms detect this poisonous gas and provide early warning. First Alert has a variety of CO alarms that fit your family’s needs.
For bedrooms (especially children’s), I like the Combination Photoelectric Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm. It installs in the ceiling is out of the way of prying hands.
For other rooms, the Carbon Monoxide Plug-In Alarm with Battery Backup is a great choice.
Did you know that some states have passed legislation to regulate CO alarms? It is important to research and review the legislation on CO alarms in your state. It is our responsibility as parents and homeowners to replace and maintain our CO alarms in a timely manner. I gives me peace of mind to know that my boys can enjoy their newly remodeled and safe room.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.