Are you making homemade gifts this year? I’ve found that the perfect gift for the people who have everything is a personalized gift! I made this State Sign for my sister and her new husband recently. With a few painting skills and my handy Silhouette machine, this project was completed within just a few days, so there’s definitely time to make it for a special someone in your life for a present.
- Wood- I used wood from quarter pallets. This is an excellent pallet project. I had the hubby nail three wood pieces from a quarter pallet together. Use whatever wood that you like, just make sure that it is sanded.
- Spray paint in 2 colors- I used orange and off-white.
- Mod Podge or other sealant
- Vinyl for stencils from Silhouette
- Acrylic paint for name- I used a tan color and a brown color
Begin by prepping the wood. Sand it and fix any rough edges.
Use your Silhouette to cut out the appropriate state shape in vinyl.
Apply the vinyl state shape to the middle of the sign, pressing all bubbles out and making sure the vinyl is secure. I also cut out a small star in the state. I left that open for color.
Spray paint the entire piece with the base color. In my case, this is orange.
Let this dry and spray paint the entire piece the second color. I used off-white. I covered up the star so that it would stay orange.
After the piece has dried completely, remove the vinyl.
Use sandpaper to make the piece look weathered. I always do this by hand. I feel like my chances of mistakes are fewer if I can “feel” what I’m doing under the sandpaper.
Now add any other personalization. I cut a name and a year stencil from vinyl using my Silhouette. I used acrylic paint to fill in the stencils. After this had dried, I distressed the letters with sandpaper to finalize the weathered appearance.
To seal: After everything had dried, I used antique Mod Podge to cover the entire piece.
Want to check out more Silhouette projects?
My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of inspiration!
- 2013 Snowman Christmas Card by Please Excuse My Craftermath…
- Christmas Hoop Art by Lil’ Mrs. Tori
- Silhouette Nativity Advent Candle Box by One Tough Mother
- Christmas Party Photo Booth Props by unOriginal Mom
- Another Stenciled Tea Towel by Cutesy Crafts
- Silhouette Gift Tags by Rain on a Tin Roof
- Snowflake Pin / Ornament by Coley’s Corner
- State Sign Couple Gift by It Happens in a Blink
- Mason Jar Christmas Ornaments by Vintage News Junkie
- Merry Christmas Wall Decor by One Artsy Mama
- Deer Head Holiday Banner…featuring Santa’s Reindeer by The Thinking Closet
- Restore your UGGS (with PAINT) by From Wine to Whine
- Monogrammed Snowflake Ornaments by Architecture of a Mom
- Christmas Countdown Sign by The Girl Creative
- Elf Chalk Sign: “The Best Way to Spread Christmas” by Weekend Craft
- Glittery Christmas Subway Art by The Turquoise Home
- Sketch Pen Labels by Sowdering About in Seattle
- Snowflake NOEL Sign by My Favorite Finds
- DIY Holiday Hostess Gift by Everyday Paper
- Folding Nativity Backdrop by Chicken Scratch NY
- Recycled Glass Jar Advent Calendar by Nearly Handmade
- Reindeer Card: Double-Sided Print & Cut by GetSilvered
- Personalized Block Ornament by Suburble
- Paper Medallion Christmas Tree by Create & Babble
- Mini Mid-Century Homes by Tried & True
- Glitter and Vinyl Minecraft Christmas Ornament by A Tossed Salad Life
- DIY Countdown to Christmas Refrigerator Style by My Paper Craze
- Reversible Recipe Holder/Block Frame by The Sensory Emporium
- DIY: Lettered Christmas Pillows by The House on Hillbrook
- Simply Charming Christmas Ornaments by Life After Laundry
- No Glitter was Worn by GiveMeAPaintbrush
- Make Easy Ornaments from Paper Circles by Bringing Creativity to Life
- Cutting Machine Embroidery Applique by Terri Johnson Creates
- “Believe” Christmas Banner by Daily Dwelling
- DIY Christmas Nativity Card by Pitter and Glink
$155 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway!
Now for the fun part- a great giveaway for a $155 Amazon gift card that can be used towards whatever you like!
- Giveaway runs from Monday, December 9th – Monday, December 16th at 11:59p eastern.
- Giveaway is open to anyone 18 years of age and older, and this is an international-friendly giveaway!
- Winner will be contacted by Lauren from The Thinking Closet by email and will have 48 hours to respond.
- Use the below Rafflecopter form to enter.